Thursday, February 14, 2013

Vintage Love Letter From Japan


My great Uncle Mickey was a career US Merchant Marine. Born in 1914, he passed away in 1979 when I was eighteen years old. He lived the last five years or so of his life with my grandmother, his sister. Cleaning out my grandmother's house a few years ago, I found this letter among his belongings.

 
It reads as follows:
                                                                                                                                       Shiguko
                                                                                                                                       Kobe 6 Jan. 1954
My Dearest Mike: 

     I am sure that you are fine in these days I have been in bed since then.  I am too lonesome and am hoping that you would be back to Kobe again.  My Dearest Mike, I never can forget you.  I am very glad to have spent with you for 4 days and I hope you will be back to Kobe again and let us have more good time again. You made me happy surely. Ever since I saw you I have not been forgetting you and you are always in my mind and I am lament and blue as I cannot see you again.  I am alone and you are not with me to-gether. I am feeling like I am walking around the dark high way alone. I could hardly forget your name and ask moon we parted with each other after having seen each other. I am painful as we are separated but I will be loving you from the bottom of my heart. My Dearest Mike, my love for you would not be changed forever. Mike you was really good to me. You bought me a lot of things for me and I never can forget you for the rest of my life. I dream of you every night and not even a single minute passed without thinking of you.

     Well, my dearest I should like to send you more long letters, but I have nothing to tell you so let me close for now hoping you would take good care of yourself and would always be happy and lucky in the world.
   I will send you my profoundest love and a lots of sweet kisses. 
                                                                      xxxxxxxx
                                                                          xxxxxxxxx
                                                                      from your Shiguko
                                                                                                                                                             
PS you will please tell your friend hello and the Mamasan of Star Bar is wishing to send her best regards to your friends.


The photo above was not with the letter but with other photos. Is it Shiguko? On it is written "to Mike, My Love". Or is Shiguko one of these other lovely ladies? I guess I'll never know.

Uncle Mickey and a Geisha 
front and back of card


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank your for your comment. It will be reviewed before it is published so that I can avoid spam on my blog.